Sympathetic Weather

Excruciating minutiae.

04 June 2007

As a lifelong Clevelander, I am not used to success or any "outside" recognition thereof

This weekend's episode of "The Soup" closed with one of the show's producers sitting in a chair, brushing Joel McHale's mullet wig as Joel sat on the floor in front of him. (This was a reference to an episode of "Wife Swap" wherein a wife brushes her husband's mullet while simultaneously telling him what a man he is.)

As the producer brushes his mane, Joel asks (I'm paraphrasing here), "So, do you think Cleveland will take it? I think they will." This reference to the Cleveland Cavaliers-Detroit Pistons series, which the Cavs clinched to great effect (BOOBIE!) on Saturday night, is remarkable. Not only is somebody outside of Cleveland talking about a Cleveland sports franchise, but that person outside of Cleveland is speaking positively about a Cleveland sports franchise and stating that he believes it can win.

Unheard of. I don't quite know how to process these feelings. When the Indians went the World Series in 1995 and 1997, it was an incredible and amazing thrill. But I lived in Chicago at the time, so I wasn't able to absorb the ambient hysteria and enthusiasm that came with living in the proximity of a championship team. Also, growing up in suburban Cleveland, I really didn't have a sense of just how futile the city was. I mean, I knew the Cuyahoga River caught on fire, and I knew that this was a very bad thing. I had the vague sense that Mayor Kucinich was inept. But I wasn't aware of the subtleties of Cleveland politics and business and education and economic development -- topics with which I'm quite familiar now having returned and worked in the city as an "adult."

I am acutely aware of Cleveland's troubles, and how good it will feel -- even temporarily, even though I don't care about basketball itself -- to have one 22-year-old from Akron (who "gets" Northeast Ohio's futility as well) singularly lift us all up on this tattooed shoulders.

That someone else, in Los Angeles no less, thinks Cleveland can win at something is a foreign and thrilling concept, indeed. Thanks, Joel. As if Little Gay, CRUISE WATCH, Clippos Magnificos and Souper Fantastic Ultra Wish Time were not enough, you believe in us, man.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're talking Cavaliers basketball.

It's all well deserved. It's that kind of excitement that sports is supposed to create in a city. I'm envious watching it from a distance. As I wrote from New York to someone I tangentially work with in Cleveland, even watching it on a big screen here couldn't have done any justice to watching it on a tiny TV (or even hearing it on WTAM) in NE Ohio.

And as for it getting national recognition, it's amazing what a 22-year-old from Akron can do. If it were a ragtag collection of journeymen all reaching their peak at once, I think it would be a slight phenomenon around the country (like you'd see around March Madness with a Cinderella team). But when you have superduperstar LeBron James, esp. after the 48-point masterpiece, it makes it HIGHLY visible around our great nation. And even I consider LA to be part of our great nation.

Anyway, go Cavs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home