Sympathetic Weather

Excruciating minutiae.

10 October 2007

Maybe I am not as old as I thought I was?

I am not necessarily proud to admit this, but I am watching "The Real World: Sydney."

And I kind of love one of the roommates.

First of all, let me explain that my advanced age means that I am not generally interested in "The Real World" any longer. I couldn't stomach the kids on the show after, say, the New Orleans season. I made a stab at watching Austin, but decided either I was getting too old, or the show had changed too much for me to care. (I think it's the former, though the latter might play a small part.)

But then when I read that the current season was filmed in Sydney, my favorite city on the planet, I knew I had to suck it up and watch. Because I had to see the location shots; not because I give a crap about the drama of drunk 19-year-olds.

Imagine my surprise, then, upon "meeting" Cohutta, the cowboy-hat/bear-claw-necklace- (an actual claw, not a pastry) wearing Georgian gentleman who is mature beyond his 23 years. He builds log homes for a living and enjoys sitting down with his family for dinner. He is very quick to call out his roommates for their ridiculous behavior, including when Trisha and Parisa are mad that some Australian dude that they've been flirting with tells them they're "sixes or sevens." Cohutta is all, only an insecure woman would feel the need to ask a guy to rate her. You should be confident in yourself, and don't ask questions to which you don't want the answers. You tell 'em, Hutty.

Cohutta is not a saint, as evidenced by his unwillingness to go to Sydney's Mardi Gras parade, one of the finest "gay" events in the world. Additionally, roommate Isaac displayed heretofore unknown (for a "Real World" house) reason during a recent fight with Shauvon, after she fell off his lap in a drunken state. He refuses to apologize for her being drunk, though he does apologize for calling her a "slut," saying that's what he calls women when he is mad. That's not cool, but stick with me, here. He gets through his calm little speech -- through which Shauvon wailed and sobbed -- and states, matter-of-factly, "This was a good talk." Hilarious.

Neither Cohutta nor Isaac are above reproach, as they are males in their early 20s, after all, who have willingly placed themselves on a reality television show known for its debauchery. I'm just saying that they're a little sharper and/or more normal, I daresay, than your typical RW roomie. Cohutta is a random voice of reason that I did not expect in a "Real World" cast.


I can't wait to see how he responds in the next episode, when, according to the preview, it appears a roommate throws a drink at him.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home